Research has established that Homework or Home learning has a positive effect on learning and pupils’ progress, particularly at secondary school.
What is Home Learning?
- Home learning is the work your child does away from their teachers and the classroom.
- It is crucial for developing their ability to work independently, to consolidate what they have learnt in class and to learn how to work through challenging things on their own.
- This in turn is a very important part of preparing them for exams. Whether we like it or not, this is how they will be judged on leaving school!
- It gives students an opportunity to engage in self-regulation by them learning to inhibit distractions, use strategies complete work independently, manage time, set goals and self-reflect on their performance.
What do we expect?
- At OSA students should expect to do some HW per night Monday – Friday. The exact amount will depend on their year group. There is more subject specific information available in the Curriculum booklets.
- The tasks will be online on Show My Homework. Here the teachers will provide the task(s) with clear instructions and any support materials the students should need.
- SMHW also tells them when the work is due to be handed in. It is very important they learn to honour deadlines.
- We expect students to check SMHW every day as soon as they get home from school and to complete the tasks in order of priority – fully and to the highest standard they can.
- You will also have your own login for SMHW so you will know what work your child has been set and when it is due.
How you can support?
- You can help your child to be successful in their Home learning by:
- ensuring they are able to check SMHW (a phone app is also available), check with them where possible;
- making sure they can sit at a table and in a quiet room;
- making sure distractions are avoided – remove mobile phones (unless needed for SMHW), televisions off, no social media checking, do not allow younger siblings to be a distraction;
- encouraging them to have all books, resources and equipment they will need on the table in front of them
- encouraging them to read every word of the instructions carefully, think back to what they were learning in the lesson and use this
- encouraging THEM to pack their bag for the next day checking everything they need against their timetable
- remembering it is their work not yours!
What to do in case of difficulties
- students should see the teacher as soon as possible and get further support/guidance
- it is essential that they then complete the task – building resilience is very important
- they can ask their tutor to refer them to the Home Learning team who can offer specific and personalised support
Please see below some additional resources to help understand how ‘Show My Homework’ works:
If you or your child misplaces their SMHW PIN, please email firstname.lastname@example.org Class and Subject tutors can also help in resetting PINS.