Careers at Oxford Spires Academy
If you are an employer or provider who would like to speak to our students, please click here: Management Of Provider Access Requests
Oxford Spires Academy works hard to make sure that Careers provision is available to all students, that it widens their knowledge and raises their aspirations. Knowing why you are working hard at school – that is, knowing what you’d like to do in life – can have a positive motivating effect.
The school meets national guidelines for careers work well and you can see our careers policy here Careers Education IAG Policy
We offer one-to-one guidance with our careers advisor, Mr Bingham, for students in Year 11 and Year 12. Year 10 and 12 students go on work experience placements. All students should build on careers work through tutor time activities, and there are lots of careers-based activities in school, and visits to universities and employers out of school.
Below is a chart showing the key dates for careers events in school this year:
Career Events For 2019
Information on these pages is designed to help students and parents who would like to know more about careers. Parents should also consider that Mr Bingham is available on parents’ evenings and mornings, and appointments can be made through ParentMail, as for teaching staff.
Important careers sessions coming up before Christmas are:
- 16 October – Year 11 and 12 students who have opted to do so (30-40 in both year groups) will work in school with New College, Oxford, on their Step Up programme.
- 17 October – all Year 11 students will have a Choices Afternoon, looking at Sixth Form, College Courses and Apprenticeships.
- 22 November – Study Higher group sessions begin for selected Year 10.
- 6 December – Year 10 INTO University group visit to Freeths law firm.
- 13 December – any student in Year 11 or Year 12 can sit the Morrisby psychometric test in school and have a one-to-one feedback appointment to go through their profile.
Please contact Dr Watson to book in for this on email@example.com.
Looking a little further ahead, OSA will run its annual Careers Week between 2 and 6 March. This is a week of talks and workshops about different careers, led by parents and friends of the school. If you are able to help by delivering a session, please contact Dr Watson on firstname.lastname@example.org. Equally, if you would be interested in joining a group of Sixth Form mentors, and helping with older students’ preparation for their future, let Dr Watson know.
The school invests in the following online resources to help students consider their future paths. Students will work on some of these in school, but you can also access them at home. If you would like relevant passwords to access them, please email Dr Watson email@example.com or Mr Bingham DavidBingham@adviza.org.uk.
• Kudos – this is a useful interactive start if you are unsure about potential career paths, and it allows you to find out about qualifications needed etc. You can do a small quiz to begin and then Kudos will guide you to possible careers that might suit you.
• eCLIPS – this is a website for young people with up to date information on a range of careers, education and employment opportunities. It is searchable and allows you to find out more – so that you can make informed choices about your future.